When you think of Israel and the Jewish people, what thoughts go through your mind? I am not just referring to the old historic Israel, but also the Israel of today, and tomorrow.
Perhaps Israel and the Jewish people are simply not thought of by you in any positive way. Do you consider them to be irrelevant on today’s world scene? Do you consider them a major source of the trouble the Middle East has experienced over recent decades, or even for centuries? Would it please you to see them give up a portion of, or all of that which rightfully belongs to them? Perhaps you even prefer that they would cease to exist.
The way you answer those questions will reveal much about your belief, or non-belief, in the Scriptures. Let’s review a few things to understand what God thinks of them.
* God chose Jerusalem that His Name would be there forever (2 Chr. 33:7).
* The Lord has chosen Zion and desired it for His habitation (Ps. 132:13-14).
* The Lord Almighty will protect, deliver, rescue, and shield Jerusalem (Is. 31:5).
* Israel is His chosen one (Is. 45:4).
* Israel is as God’s wife...the Lord Almighty is her redeemer (Is. 54:5).
* God has set Jerusalem at the center of all nations (Ezek. 5:5).
* Israel is the apple of God’s eye and will be protected (Zech. 2:8).
* Abraham is the father of the Jewish people (Gen. 17:5).
* God’s everlasting land covenant including land boundaries was given to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob for all generations (Gen. 17:19).
* The promised Messiah, the Savior of the world, would come from the city of David (Is. 9:6-7; Luke 2:11)
* God promised Abraham He would bless those who blessed Israel, and would curse those who cursed Israel (Gen. 12:3).
* As long as the sun, moon, stars, and sea exist, Israel will exist (Jer. 31:35-36).
* God chose over 40 writers, almost all of them Jewish, to pen the Scriptures as the Holy Spirit breathed the words into them...during a period of over 1400 years.
* Jesus, the promised Messiah, was a Jew (not by blood, but legally) who descended from the lineage of David.
* Jesus, a Jew, willingly suffered and died on the cross...shedding His blood for all mankind, then, rose from the dead on the third day that all who believe might have life.
* Jesus’ disciples were all Jewish.
* God has truly blessed Israel as a world leader in science, medical technology, agriculture, exports, and military might...to name just a few.
* In the last days God will turn His full attention toward the Jews to bring them out of their unbelief, and into repentance and salvation.
* God’s wrath will fall on the unbelieving world during the 7-year tribulation (Time of Jacob’s Trouble)...bringing horrible judgments that will cause many if not most to die, but a Jewish remnant (1/3rd of those still alive) will receive Him as their true Messiah, and will be protected.
* Jesus will return to earth to end the tribulation at Armageddon, the world’s battle over Jerusalem, and then, will deliver His protected Jewish remnant.
* Jesus will rule the world as King of Kings and Lord of Lords, and will reign from Jerusalem during His millennial kingdom just prior to eternity.
Scripture explains that in the end days Israel and Jerusalem will be a stumbling block for the nations – all devising ways to divide the land and/or destroy the Jewish people. Today the whole Middle East is exploding in turmoil. It is all about Israel - exactly as Scripture foretold would happen.
As you will note from these few examples...the past, present, and future of mankind is all centered around Israel and the Jewish people...God’s chosen. Gentiles (you and me) have been grafted into the “vine” to share in the promises made to the Jews. We must pray for the Jewish people and Israel as commanded in Scripture, and provide the love and support to them as God requires of us as believers.
With a fresh understanding of these facts, it would be prudent to re-think any negative views you might have concerning Israel and the Jewish people before it is too late. Jesus is coming back very soon!